Top Weight Loss Medications That Actually Work in 2022
Today, 35.6% of Australians are overweight, and 31.3% are obese.
And the incidence of overweight and obesity in Australian adults is increasing.
The problem with this is more evident in the personal lives and health of those who have these conditions. They can experience the pains and discomforts brought about by diseases and complications that come with their weight problems or cause them.
These affect the quality and duration of their lives.
And often, if you are obese or overweight, the way you can start improving your health includes habit changes. These changes most prominently are aimed at losing weight and maintaining an ideal body.
The good news is that modern medicine can now provide many options for you.
And in Australia, you have excellent options that have been scientifically proven safe and effective for weight loss and maintenance.
Here are the Top 5 Recognised Weight Loss Medications Available in the Year 2022
When combined with a healthy lifestyle, these medications have been demonstrated to help people lose weight and keep it off.
- Xenical (Orlistat)
- Duromine (Phentermine)
- Saxenda (Liraglutide)
- Ozempic (Semaglutide)
- Contrave (Naltrexone)
These are available in Australia and recognised as effective and safe by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
Xenical is a branded medication with the generic name orlistat and is also sold as a Prolistat in the market. This medication has been proved to help people lose weight and keep off extra weight.
It is accessible without a prescription from pharmacists or doctors, so it is an OTC medication. Still, it is highly recommended that you consult a professional before considering using the medication.
How does Xenical function?
Xenical acts by interfering with digestive enzymes, which are required for fat breakdown and absorption.
It essentially reduces fat breakdown in the intestines, allowing one-third less fat to be absorbed. Then the undigested fat is expelled into the faeces after passing through the gut.
When taking orlistat, a low-fat diet is essential for it to entirely work.
Xenical side effects
When you eat too many fatty foods while taking orlistat, you can experience greasy rectal leaks and oily, fatty stool movements. And these side effects are frequently accompanied by an increased need to excrete.
These negative consequences usually give an incentive for people to maintain their fat content in their diet low. And this often aids in the modification of eating habits.
When used for an extended period, there is a risk of being deficient in fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins A, D, E and K). So to avoid vitamin deficits, your doctor may advise you to take a vitamin supplement when taking orlistat.
Long-term Xenical use may also raise your chances of acquiring kidney stones.
Hence you always need to check with your doctor or any qualified medical professional to ensure that you are taking orlistat safely and effectively.
The appetite suppressant Duromine’s generic name is phentermine. It is also sold by another brand as Metermine.
As this drug is an appetite suppressant, it indicates that Duromine will make you feel less hungry.
This drug, however, necessitates thorough monitoring. Your doctor should reassess your status on a regular basis when you take Duromine.
In general, it is suggested that phentermine should be used for no more than three months. And like orlistat, it should be taken in conjunction with a low-calorie diet.
Who can use Duromine?
Duromine is only available with a doctor's prescription.
Do not use Duromine if you have:
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure;
- Certain cardiac diseases;
- Glaucoma, an overactive thyroid gland;
- A history of certain psychiatric illnesses; or
- A history of drug or alcohol addiction or dependency.
This medication is likewise not recommended for pregnant women.
Duromine side effects
Here are the side effects of Duromine:
- Dry mouth
- Fast heartbeat
- Elevated blood pressure
And, in rare cases, side effects can include psychosis and hallucinations.
Liraglutide, commonly sold as the branded medication Saxenda, is another appetite suppressant medication.
This medication also helps to reduce blood glucose or sugar levels to help diabetic patients.
How is Saxenda used?
Liraglutide is injected beneath the skin once a day with customised pen injector equipment.
Who can use Saxenda?
Saxenda is only available with a doctor's prescription. And it is not advised for persons who have certain forms of:
- Cardiac illness;
- Kidney failure; or
- Liver disease.
It is also not advised in persons who have experienced serious depression or other psychiatric illnesses.
Additionally, liraglutide should not be used if you are pregnant or nursing.
Ozempic, with the generic name semaglutide, helps patients achieve their ideal blood sugar levels.
It is a medication used to help persons with type 2 diabetes. It is used in conjunction with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar and lower A1C.
In people with known heart disease, it also reduces the risk of serious cardiovascular (CV) events such as heart attack, stroke, or death.
While it is not manufactured for weight loss, losing weight can be an indirect result of taking the drug.
How to take Ozempic
Ozempic can only be used with the doctor’s prescription. And it is taken using a pen injection once a week.
Can I use Ozempic?
You should not use this medication if:
- You or any member of your family has ever had MTC or if you have MEN 2
- You are allergic to semaglutide or any of Ozempic’s ingredients
So simply check with a doctor if you are considering this medication so that you can ensure that it is okay for you to take.
Contrave, generic naltrexone, is a prescription weight-loss medication.
It is used to help obese or overweight adult patients who have at least one weight-related medical problem lose weight and keep it off.
For example, if you are overweight or obese and have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes, Contrave might be the perfect weight-loss drug for you.
Also, this medication should be used in conjunction with a low-calorie diet and increased physical activity.
How to use Contrave
As it is a prescription medicine, it should come with instructions from your doctor.
But the general way you are supposed to take it is as follows:
- Take 1 pill a day every day in the 1st week.
- Take 2 pills a day, one in the morning and one at night, daily in the 2nd week.
- Take 3 pills a day, two in the morning and one at night, daily in the 3rd week.
- Take 4 pills a day, two in the morning and two at night, daily in the 4th week.
Can I use Contrave?
Your doctor should be able to help you assess whether Contrave is the right weight-loss medication for you.
But in general, here’s some conditions when you aren’t supposed to take it:
- You have uncontrolled high blood pressure.
- You have or have had seizures.
- You use other bupropion-containing medications such as Wellbutrin (including Wellbutrin SR and Wellbutrin XL), as well as Aplenzin and Zyban.
- You have or have had an eating disorder called anorexia or bulimia.
- You are dependent on opioid pain medications.
- You use medicines to help stop taking opioids.
- You are in opiate withdrawal.
- You drink heavily and suddenly stop.
Can I use herbal supplements and other alternative weight loss treatments?
Yes, you can only if you can guarantee that you are not allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients of the product you’re using.
There are numerous non-prescription medications and natural supplements on the market that claim to aid with weight loss.
Some examples in the market are the following:
- PhenQ is claimed to be a high-quality thermogenic fat burner that works primarily by raising body temperature, which increases metabolic rate. This, in turn, causes the body to require more energy and consume more calories, resulting in faster fat burn.
- Leanbean claims to be the most excellent supplement for female weight reduction because it is designed exclusively for women to burn through resistant fat using its natural ingredients.
- Instant Knockout is a thermogenic supplement that was initially created for professional athletes, MMA fighters, and boxers, but it quickly gained popularity among the general public.
This alternative supplement claims to be specifically developed to boost metabolism through thermogenesis, improve athletic performance, increase energy levels, reduce hunger and aid in muscle building.
- Trimtone is promoted as a gentle, all-natural fat burner supplement that is quite successful in assisting female patients in losing weight. It claims to decrease hunger pangs and increase your metabolism while still enabling you to have enough energy to exercise.
- Prime Shred is claimed to be an effective weight loss supplement for male athletes, frequent gym-goers, and sports enthusiasts. It is even promoted to have some cognitive improving effects thanks to the nootropics incorporated in it.
Nootropics are substances that are used to enhance concentration, memory, alertness, mental sharpness, and performance.
- Clenbutrol is promoted as designed to increase metabolism. The thermogenic effects raise the body's temperature, causing a fat-burning response and increasing metabolic rate.
- Powher claims to be a full thermogenic fat burner and women's health vitamin. It is promoted to help to burn fat faster and improve the overall health of the user.
But before attempting these remedies, consult your doctor.
For example, you need to ensure that caffeine is okay for you because most of these weight-loss supplements have that ingredient.
And take note that most of the available alternative options have not been researched in the same way that prescription medications have. So their safety and effectiveness are frequently unknown.
Also, you want to ensure that you are using an alternative supplement that only uses natural ingredients.
What’s the best weight loss medication for me?
This question can only be answered by your doctor or a medical professional.
Being obese or overweight often comes with underlying conditions and diseases. And often, people who have extra weight are prone to diabetes, heart problems and more, if not experiencing these illnesses already.
And these conditions can allow or disallow you to use a particular weight loss medication.
So if you want to do something about weight loss and begin your new journey to better health and wellness, you should have yourself assessed.
By doing so, you can ensure that you will be safe from severe side effects. And you can guarantee that you are using the medication properly and to your advantage.
And whatever you are prescribed or if you are allowed to use an alternative supplement, remember that weight loss medications only work when combined with appropriate lifestyle changes.
So you should actively improve your physical activity and reduce your food intake. And indeed, you can effectively become a better, healthier, more confident you.